176 (Op) The Prevalence Of Copd Through The Gold Questionnaire In Milan

Conference: 
Author(s): 
F. Carnesalli, M. Caleffa, L. Baldicchi, L. Caputo, M. Pucci
Italian Academy of Family Physicians, Milano, Italy
Text: 
BACKGROUND:
Nevertheless several studies at the moment it?s difficult to establish the prevalence of COPD, indeed the conclusions are very different nor comparable. Aims: we want to demonstrate the usefulness and applicability of GOLD questionnaire on COPD in the Italian family practice.
METHODS:
Italian GPS use spirometry and peak flow meter (PEF) very few, so we performed a screening on COPD through a simple questionnaire on the patients of four GPs in Milan. A group of patients, met during a work week, filled in the form of GOLD questionnaire, consisting of five questions suitable to diagnose COPD and complete of age, gender, eventually spirometry and diagnosis of COPD. A second similar group filled in a different modified and more specific questionnaire.
RESULTS:
332 adults filled in the first questionnaire: 38(11.5%) patients had a well- known diagnosis of COPD. Anyway 40 subjects (12.4%) without a diagnosis fulfilled the clinical criteria of COPD, so the prevalence of disease became 24.2%, more than double. An other group of 315 subjects filled in the second questionnaire, 42 (13.3%) had a well-known diagnosis of COPD, whilst 38 (12.0%) fulfilled the clinical criteria of COPD, for a total of patients of 80(25.3%).
CONCLUSIONS:
The questionnaire resulted suitable to identify patients with COPD without a diagnosis and adequate treatment, indeed more than 50% of patients could be treated in an unsuitable way. Two different questionnaire evidenced a similar number of well-known and no COPD, but the second one was more difficult for the patients, so we prefer the GOLD form.
Literature: 
176 (OP) THE PREVALENCE OF COPD THROUGH THE GOLD QUESTIONNAIRE IN MILAN