Dear colleagues and friends,
The WONCA Europe 5 star doctor award committee announces a call for nominations for the "Wonca-European award for excellence in health care: The 5 star Doctor". The winner of this award will receive a certificate, and can be the European candidate for the Wonca World award of 2016 in Rio de Janeiro.
The 2013 WONCA Europe 5 star doctor award will be presented at the WONCA World Conference in Prague, during the Wonca Europe Council Meeting on June 21st.
The criteria for the WONCA Europe award are as follows:
- a nominee must best meet the principle of the 5-star doctor
- a nominee should be a serving physician in mid-career who in addition to providing regular service:
- provides innovative services for a community or special group
- developed services where they were previously not available
- supported colleagues in another region, country or college
- performed academic work (teaching, research, quality assurance) of exceptional quality and relevance
- a nominee need not be a family doctor
- a nominee can work outside his or her region, or create something that can be used outside his or her region or serve as a rule model to other regions
- the "Towards Unity for Health" criteria will be kept in mind: the attributes of the 5-star doctor are:
- care provider who considers the patient as an integral part of a family and the community and provides high standard clinical care (excluding or diagnosing serious illness and injury, manages chronic disease and disability) and personalises preventive care within a long term, trusting relationship
- decision maker, who chooses which technologies to apply ethically and cost-effectively while enhancing the care that he or she provides;
- communicator, who is able to promote healthy life-styles by emphatic explanation, thereby empowering individuals and groups to enhance and protect their health;
- community leader, who has won the trust of the people among whom he or she works, who can reconcile individual and community health requirements and initiate action on behalf of the community;
- team member, who can work harmoniously with individuals and organisations, within and outside the health care system, to meet his or her patients and community's needs.
The WONCA Europe 5 star doctor awards committee for 2013 consists of:
- Tony Mathie (chair), UK
- Tina Eriksson, Denmark
- Sam Everington, UK
- Ilse Hellman, Austria
- Jose Miguel Bueno Ortiz, Spain.
Nominations should be submitted on the attached form, which has to be filled in completely, before March 15th 2013 to:
WONCA Europe Secretariat: Barbara Toplek (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Applications that arrive after March 15th 2013 will not be considered.
The 5 star doctor will be notified by April 15th 2013.
Job FM Metsemakers
Wonca Europe Honorary Secretary